Re: have you seen this? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Greg Copeland
Subject Re: have you seen this?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 12:27, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Well, the first question I would ask *us* is whether or not PHP programmers
> *are* among our main targets for advocacy.   Based on my experience at
> PHPCon, I would say that 80% of PHP coders would be well served by SQLite --
> MySQL is more powerful than they need or want, let alone us.
>
> Not that I'm writing off the PHP community.  Given PostgreSQL's powerful
> functions, views, and other in-database code, it makes a really dynamic
> pairing with a lightweight scripting language like PHP -- one which I've used
> to great effect.   But I think that the target audience for this message is
> not necessarily existing PHP jockeys, but rather coders in client-side
> languages, and database designers used to Oracle and MSSQL, looking to move
> to the web.

IMO, that's a great point.  PostgreSQL seems like it's a good DBA's
database and bluntly, MySQL is not.  The inverse, I believe, can also be
said.  Which is, PostgreSQL is currently not a non-DBA's database.
MySQL, on the other hand, gets lots of exposure to non-DBA's and does
quite well.  We really need some advocacy that talks to non-DBA users
rather than the more technical crowd where PostgreSQL has long been well
received.  I would think the PHP crowd would fall more toward the
non-DBA direction.

--
Greg Copeland, Owner
greg@copelandconsulting.net