Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 19:39, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2004, Mike Mascari wrote:
> > Greg Stark wrote:

> > > So in my perfect world I picture 7.5 freezing June 1 and releasing in July or
> > > so, giving a nice reliable simple upgrade for people who just want a safe 7.x
> > > series to upgrade to even after 8.0 comes out. PITR, nested transactions going
> > > into the CVS tree sometime in June or July and being frozen as 8.0 towards the
> > > end of the year.
> >
> > A quick google of "7.4 Win32 release" will reveal that the above was
> > precisely what was said about 7.4: it would be released to not hold
> > up important features like the IN optimization and a quick 7.5 would
> > have Win32 and PITR. It's almost as if a cron job reposts this
> > thread every 6 - 12 months. For those of us that are desirous of
> > PITR, it's a 6 month reposting that is becoming painful to read...
>
> k, let's think this through ... 7.4 was released, what, 6 months ago?  And
> 6 months later, PITR still isn't ready?  Is there some logic here that if
> 7.4 wasn't released, PITR would have been done any sooner?

Potentially yes.  One thing all of the developers have said they want is
more feedback from some of the more expert developers, but if we go into
feature freeze then the focus of folks like Tom and Bruce will be on
completing release, not on helping out with these new features.  We had
the original patch for PITR before 7.4 went into beta IIRC, but it then
had to sit through a lengthy beta process before Tom could do some final
code review and get things committed.

Just like Bruce has often asked the community how they feel about him
balancing his time between things like speaking engagements and patch
applications, core developers have a limited amount of time they can
spend on any given development effort. If I had to pick (If I got to
pick?), I would rather see Bruce/Tom/Jan working on helping these guys
finish PITR/WIN32/Tablespaces/etc... than working on closing the 7.5
branch.

Robert Treat