Re: pgstattuple extension for indexes - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgstattuple extension for indexes
Date
List pgsql-patches
> ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
>> BTW, should we change VACUUM VERBOSE in the same way? If we do so,
>> autovacuum can handle the reports of VACUUM VERBOSE and plan when to
>> do VACUUM FULL, REINDEX and/or CLUSTER using the information.
>> Is this worth doing?

> You mean having VACUUM VERBOSE return a result set?

To me, the point of VACUUM VERBOSE is mostly to give you some
reassurance that it's making progress.  If it were returning rows
instead of notice messages, you'd lose that functionality (at least
in libpq-based clients).  In any case, autovacuum has other ways
of getting the information without needing a change in user-visible
behavior.

            regards, tom lane