Re: good pc but bad performance,why? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: good pc but bad performance,why?
Date
Re: good pc but bad performance,why?
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 14:13, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> But it should be okay to set the filesystem to journal only its own
> >> metadata.  There's no need for it to journal file contents.
>
> > Can you set ext2 to journal metadata?  I didn't know it could do that.
>
> No, ext2 has no journal at all AFAIK.  But I believe ext3 has an option
> to journal or not journal file contents, and at least on a Postgres-only
> volume you'd want to turn that off.

No, it certainly doesn't.

To be honest I was not aware that PostgreSQL was susceptible to failure
on non[metadata] journalled filesystems - I was [somewhat vaguely] of
the understanding that it would work fine on any filesystem.

And obviously, from my original post, we can see that I believed
metadata journalling was wasted on it.

Is the 'noatime' option worthwhile?  Are you saying that PostgreSQL
should always be run on a metadata journalled filesystem then, and that
VFAT, ext2, etc are ++ungood?

Thanks,
                    Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ  Ltd,  PO Box 11-053,  Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/             PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201       MOB: +64(21)635-694      OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
      A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds - Shaw