Re: More Deadlock Detection on Insert - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Csaba Nagy
Subject Re: More Deadlock Detection on Insert
Date
List pgsql-general
It is the foreign key. Checking foreign keys in postgres is implemented
by locking the corresponding row in the parent table. So if you have 2
transactions inserting rows which reference the same keys in the parent
table in reverse order, you get a deadlock.
This lock is admittedly too strong and not appropriate for a foreign key
check, but postgres lacks the proper lock type to do it.

I think there was a patch for disable this locking and accept a certain
risk of data corruption - look in the archives. Might suite your needs
if you can make sure your application can accept that risk (or does not
generate the risky cases in the first place).
Or you can order your inserts, but that won't help if you have multiple
and complex foreign key relations, and is bound to be broken when you
change schema.

HTH,
Csaba.