Backend Code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Diego Montenegro
Subject Backend Code
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hello everyone,
I've been going through the PostgreSQL code, and I've reached a point
where I need help.
First of all, when is the PostgresMain() function for the backend executed?
I've inserted some debugging prints, but they never get executed. What
most puzzels me, is that when I execute the following command:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test2
I get the following error:
psql: FATAL:  Database "test2" does not exist in the system catalog.

When I go to the code, and modify this Error message (in file
./backend/utils/init/postinit.c), and re-compile the code, I still get
the same error message, and not the one I updated. Am I missing something?
I've updated messages in many places, and they work just fine, but none
of the ones in the backend actually work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone answers this mail, please reply directly to my mail, since I
get a message digest from the pgsql-hackers list, and I might not
receive the answer inmediately.

Thanks a lot for any help!
Diego Montenegro