OT :: attempt on website changes - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject OT :: attempt on website changes
Date
Re: attempt on website changes DB Schema
Re: OT :: attempt on website changes
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 17:24, Alexey Borzov wrote:
> What I proposed were the simple --- I prototyped them in an hour's work ---
> usability improvements.

ISTM you've missed the point. It's simple to say "make the fonts bigger
on the header page". It's also simple to mock up a page to make the
header links bigger. But what isn't simple is actually pushing that out
to all of the pages, mainly due to legacy architectural issues. The
latter is where we need the help, not the former.

> > The primary goal of the site right now is to get Andreas
> > translation code working so we can start using that, then implement a
> > new design that works with that.
>
> Is it the stuff within the 'portal' dir, with the last commit 2 months ago?

Andreas code is in the portal directory. the current website code is in
the www directory.

> > At a minimum before any significant
> > redesign we need to modify the existing pages to work from central
> > defined layout functions rather than using hardcoded html like so many
> > of the pages do now.  (Incidentally I did start coding this up awhile
> > back, but did not implement it due to the groups desire to get Andreas
> > code done).
>
> I looked at the current code, "messy" is the most polite word I have for this.
> Nonetheless, my experience tells me that moving common HTML to header and footer
> files will take, like, 2 hours at most. Including a tea-break.
>
> I *may* have volunteered for this, but after this discussion have a feeling that
> outside contributions are NOT welcome. Fine with me, and probably fine with the
> community?

contributions are welcome, but they need to actually be things that
help. busting out one-off page designs isn't terribly helpful. If you
can get the kinks worked out with Andreas code I'll commit your patches
myself. Heck you'd probably get commit rights to CVS yourself, but I'm
not sure why you expect everyone to kow-tow to you when you haven't
presented us with anything of substance, especially given the extremely
adversarial tone you've taken.

> > Also this conversation is fairly off-topic for this group, and more
> > importantly having the discussion here excludes several people who
> > should be included in it.
>
> Are these the same people who have to approve my subscription to pgsql-www?..

some of them, among others.

Robert Treat