Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From keith@vcsn.com
Subject Re: Paypal WAS: PostgreSQL speakers needed for OSCON
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Quoting "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>:

> >Help me out here... what's your perceived difference between kazaa and
> >bittorrent?
> >

> I won't speak for someone else but I would guess that it is that
> Bittorrent isn't a business, it is a technology.
> Where Kazaa is a business.
>
> Personally I have zero problem with Kazaa and I think Open Office should
> use every legal means possible to
> distribute their software.
>
> If I buy a gun , and kill you... is that my fault or the fault of the
> gun maker?

Hmmm, we'll I agree with that arguement but I don't think that is a good
example.  As a musician and owner of a publishing company also, I think the
American retail commerical music market is grossly over priced- CDs are
sometimes the same price as DVDs- PUHLEEEZZEE- the point of the matter is the
kazaa is enabling- this like one of the top things for college student to do
these days.   From what I understand, last year RIAA and Kazaa regularly squared
off on TechTV and the basically (this is 3rd party info so I could be wrong) the
jist of things from Kazaa, "we know about the piracy and we don't care".

True or not, the copywrite infringement is a problem and there are digital
fingerprinting technologies that could be implemented (and are on other system)
the could at least cut done the amount of piracy.  Someone mention the
"appearance" of things an I think that arguement holds some weight.  I think MS
and many other people are waiting for the OSS community to be deal a disabling
blow.  I won't have't chanced things with Kazaa either.  Especially since they
were spywear at one point.

One plus for me about Kazaa is that seem to be very pro-privacy but I think you
can do that an protect copywrites as well.