pg_restore makes disk busy - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From cnliou
Subject pg_restore makes disk busy
Date
List pgsql-performance
Happy new year!

When performing
"pg_restore -L list --disable-triggers -d db1 -v my_archive"
, my hard disk for Linux box (with 96MB RAM) becomes
extremely busy.

One example is that it takes more than 5 miniutes to restore
 for a table from 7800 rows. Each row has less than 117
bytes in length with total of 6 columns. Hence I think the
amount of the to-restore data is not the cause of
performance problem.

The swap size is only 68K. Therefore, I don't think small
amount of RAM is a problem, either.

kjournald uses 2% CPU and postmaster uses 10%. CPU is about
95% idle.

What makes the restore so slow? How do I speed it up?

Regards,
CN