Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT {UPDATE | IGNORE} - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT {UPDATE | IGNORE}
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> On 12/18/2014 05:46 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> I don't think either point was ever really settled beyond Robert
>> and I preferring ON DUPLICATE versus Peter preferring ON CONFLICT.
>
> I also prefer ON CONFLICT, because that makes more sense when you
> consider exclusion constraints, which I'm still hoping that this would
> support. If not immediately, at least in the future.

If you think this can be made to work without a UNIQUE btree index,
that is a persuasive point in favor of ON CONFLICT.  I had missed
(or forgotten) that we thought this could work without a UNIQUE
btree index as the basis of detecting when to resort to an UPDATE.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com