Re: COPY - Ignore Problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: COPY - Ignore Problems
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 23:47, Ron St-Pierre wrote:
> I wish to insert data into a table from a very large text file (from a
> cron script) using COPY. However if the lName (TEXT), fName(TEXT),
> workDate(DATE) already exist I don't want to insert data and just want
> to move onto the next record. Is there any way I can tell my bash
> script/COPY to ignore the case where the unique constraint exists
> (lName,fName,workDate), and move on to the next record?

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE mytemp (
      LIKE real_table, PRIMARY KEY (lname, fname, workdate)
);
COPY mytemp FROM '/my/input/file';
INSERT INTO real_table (
      SELECT * FROM mytemp AS t
         WHERE NOT EXISTS (
            SELECT * FROM real_table AS r
              WHERE r.lname = t.lname AND
                    r.fname = t.fname AND
                    r.workdate = f.workdate
         )
      );

NB: your mixed case names are automatically converted to lower case
unless you quote them.
     "And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the
      babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger."
                              Luke 2:12