Re: RI within PLPGSQL - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From cnliou
Subject Re: RI within PLPGSQL
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Thank you very much for your explanation!

¡° Include¡m"Stephan Szabo" <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com>¡n
wrote:
>There have been discussions in the past about when cascade
events
>should occur.  The code currently does what I believe was
last
>agreed upon, although its behavior is fairly wierd for
deferred
>constraints and functions.  Right now the cascade happens
at the
>end of the full statement (in this case the call to the
function)
>which is why you get a key constraint error in the second
call to f1
>and why the later inserted row is removed in f2.

It sounds to me that the only solution to my case is
executing

DELETE FROM referenced_table

and

INSERT INTO referencing_table

in seperate transactions. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I also feel it might be a good idea to include an example
like the one in my previous message in the documentation so
that this question hopefully will not be asked repeatedly.

Regards,

CN