Re: ERROR: JOIN/USING types 'integer' and 'character - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: ERROR: JOIN/USING types 'integer' and 'character
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 20:14, Michael . wrote:
> I had an error before involving a temporary table, and
> that has been taken care of...
> The last message I wrote where it seemed to have
> needed it after I added it was because of different
> \connects.  Could someone please help me with this
> next error as I'm importing to a new server?
> I am getting quite a few of these...
>

> CREATE VIEW care_plan_note_state AS
>     SELECT p.firm_id, p.patient_id, p.visit_id,
> p.problem_id, p.patient_problem_id, p.note,
> p."sequence", p.deleted, p.created, p.mo
> dified, p.edited_by, p.inked, i.visit_id AS visit_in,
> v.inked AS "_inked" FROM ((care_plan_note_history p
> JOIN (SELECT vh.firm_id, v
> h.patient_id, vh.visit_id, vh.disci
...snip...
> ERROR:  JOIN/USING types 'integer' and 'character
> varying' not matched

I gave up on trying to follow all the nested brackets - I think you
would help both yourself and us if you formatted such a query!

I think the error means that you are joining on columns of differing
types.  (E.g.: SELECT * FROM a JOIN b ON a.id = b.id, where a.id and
b.id are of different types.) That suggests an error in the query or a
discrepancy in the data structures; but if it is intentional, cast one
of them to match the other.

     "The spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the
      LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the
      meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to
      proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of
      the prison to them that are bound."
                                        Isaiah 61:1