Re: Making a tree with "millions and millions" of dynamic - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lynn.Tilby@asu.edu
Subject Re: Making a tree with "millions and millions" of dynamic
Date
List pgsql-general
Oleg,

I worked for a company where we crunched 16+ terabytes of
multiple drug company sales data per month.  We of course
used Sun's BIGGEST boxes and Oracle.  But! the secret
to doing it was LOTS of memory and putting the indexes,
pointers, etc. in arrays and using Oracle OCI calls.

If it is possible to use some lower level funcs, perhaps
funcs like you see in the .c output of ecpg this might
theoretically be possible in postgres.  I know that
putting the index references or functionally similar data
in arrays, and doing the data location resolution to
the logical or even physical disk location is not only
extreamly FAST but possible, having done it on raw
partitions and optical disks myself in custom designed
data bases.  This approach would work extreamly fast
with only 20 million rows.  Yes, it would require some
extra programming but if you need REAL TIME response
this approach could help solve your problem.

Best Regards,
Lynn P. Tilby
Unix Consultant
ltilby@asu.edu