bytea -> text - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Baldur Norddahl
Subject bytea -> text
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I need to do something like this:

select * from sms where message ilike 'foo%';

Message is a bytea field with UTF-8 content. The charset is actually not
important for me, it would be enough if it could just treat it as us ascii. The
statement does not work because postgresql can not convert bytea to text. But
this works:

select * from sms where message like 'foo%';

Seems like "like" knows how to convert bytea to text, but I can not find any
generic function that does this convertation so I can use it with ilike (or
regexp).

Is there any reasonable easy way for me to do case insensitive matching on that
bytea field?

Thanks,

Baldur