Re: TIMEZONE not working? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From cnliou
Subject Re: TIMEZONE not working?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello! Tom,

>Not at all.  TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIMEZONE will not react to
timezone
>environment at all.

Absolutely right! I seemed to have trouble understanding
lengthy, though good, documentation.

Here are some minor issues I have encountered:

- SQL commands like "SET TIMEZONE TO NZDT" are illegal while
Table B-4 in Appendix B says they are recognized.
- Command "SET TIMEZONE TO +08:30" is also illegal.
- I don't fully understand the statement in section 8.5 of
the documentation:

[QUOTE]
Note: When timestamp values are stored as double precision
floating-point numbers (currently the default), the
effective limit of precision may be less than 6. timestamp
values are stored as seconds since 2000-01-01, and
microsecond precision is achieved for dates within a few
years of 2000-01-01, but the precision degrades for dates
further away.
[/QUOTE]

Does this mean double timestamp, the default storage type,
allows dates starting from 2000-1-1? I just inserted and
selected the value '1999-1-1' without problem.

[QUOTE]
When timestamp values are stored as eight-byte integers (a
compile-time option), microsecond precision is available
over the full range of values. However eight-byte integer
timestamps have a reduced range of dates from 4713 BC up to
294276 AD.
[/QUOTE]

Dos this mean that 8-byte timestamp accepts only up to year
AD 806 (=294276/365)? Table 8-9 looks to me that pgsql
accepts up to AD 5874897 days.

As always, thank you very much for the help!

Best Regards,

CN