Re: Tired of -Wold-style-definition already - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Tired of -Wold-style-definition already
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> Why not just disable warnings for just the flex-generated files?

Because it's a pain in the neck to do so; it'll require klugery in half
a dozen different Makefiles.  (I don't see any easy way to make the
change apply only to the flex files, and not to the other .c files in
the same subdirectories, either.)  If I thought the old-style-definition
warning was actually useful, then I'd be up for that, but I don't find
it worth the trouble.  We can run a build every so often with it turned
on just to see if any old-style defs have snuck in, but we don't need
to have it on as a regular thing.  IMHO anyway.

>> IIRC we have found worse problems than just warnings with 2.5.31.

> Do you think these problems are sufficiently bad that we need to declare
> 2.5.31 unsupported?

We have.  You'll notice that releases are still made with 2.5.4.  You
can probably find something about this in the archives.