table locking.. FK tables locking on insert - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ati Rosselet
Subject table locking.. FK tables locking on insert
Date
List pgsql-general
I have several tables with common FKs.. the problem occurs when
performing a large number of inserts on any of the tables at the same
time.  The first to start inserting seems to get a lock on the
referenced FK tables and doesn't release them until its done, forcing
the other apps to just wait... and wait..since they also seem to want a
lock for their FK tables..... something just doesnt seem right here :(

when I remove the FKs, everything goes fine.. but I need my foreign
keys.. really I do.

What does postgres do here?  or is the problem in the jdbc driver.. or
maybe the server? (using Jboss 3.2.1, hibernate and 7.3.2 postgres)..

any ideas?