Re: SCSI vs. IDE performance test - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: SCSI vs. IDE performance test
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 17:18, Rick Gigger wrote:
> ahhh. "lies about write order" is the phrase that I was looking for.  That
> seemed to make sense but I didn't know if I could go directly from "lying
> about fsync" to that.  Obviously I don't understand exactly what fsync is
> doing.  I assume this means that if you were to turn fsync off you would get
> considerably better performance but introduce the possibility of corrupting
> the files in your database.

Yes.

There was a recent thread (in -general or -performance) regarding
putting the WAL files on a different disk, and changing wal_sync_-
method to open_sync (or open_datasync, don't remember).

This will allow the device(s) that the database is on to
run asynchronously, while the WAL is synchronous, for safety.

> Thank you.  This makes a lot more sense now.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Some former UNSCOM officials are alarmed, however. Terry Taylor,
a British senior UNSCOM inspector from 1993 to 1997, says the
figure of 95 percent disarmament is "complete nonsense because
inspectors never learned what 100 percent was. UNSCOM found a
great deal and destroyed a great deal, but we knew [Iraq's] work
was continuing while we were there, and I'm sure it continues,"
says Mr. Taylor, now head of the Washington
http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/0829/p01s03-wosc.html