Re: Recomended FS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lynn.Tilby@asu.edu
Subject Re: Recomended FS
Date
List pgsql-general
Really solid microcode actually reads the sectors
just written and confirms the write at the hardware level
by comparing it with what is in the controller memory.
It then returns with a successfull confirmation or an error
if differences were detected.

Any data storage device controller, disk, memory stick, whatever
that does not follow this fundamental common sense protocol is
not reliable and should not be used, period!

Perhaps the IDE designers have folded to management pressure
and tried to make their drives "seem" faster by not taking
the time to actually confirm the write at the hardware level.
I don't know, but it looks like this may be a possiblity.

Lynn