Re: HTML generation with PL/PgSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Network Administrator
Subject Re: HTML generation with PL/PgSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Scott Chapman <scott_list@mischko.com>:

> On Thursday 23 October 2003 11:38, Birahim FALL wrote:
>
> > Is such a product exists (preferably opensource).
> > I'm ready to go for python etc, but I really wuld have to re-educate
> > myself.....
>
> Bir,
> There are a LOT of ways to make web pages with data from Postgres.
>
> I'd suggest you get:
>
> The latest Postgres
> Apache2 (http://httpd.apache.org)
> Mod_Python (http://www.modpython.org) Get the latest CVS version (3.1.2b at
> this writing).
> Python 2.3.2+ (http://www.python.org)
> Draco (http://draco.boskant.nl) 0.99.4 or (Quixote
> http://freshmeat.net/redir/quixote/18740/url_homepage/quixote)
> and Psycopg (http://freshmeat.net/projects/psycopg)
>   and whatever few dependencies these have (mxDateTime comes to mind).
>
> Get the latest versions of everything.  That's a complete kit to make
> Anything You Want.
>
> Draco and Quixote take much different approaches to gluing Python to web
> pages.  Both are worth a good look, just to understand their ways of doing
> things.
> Both are different from the rather inelegant way of printing each HTML
> element using special coding, which Oracle looks like it uses.
> Draco has strong logic/presentation seperation. Quixote takes the unique
> approach of allowing you to embed HTML in Python rather than the more common
> opposite.
> There are LOTS of other packages to "glue" HTML and databases together in
> Python.  I wouldn't look anywhere beyond Python.
> I've found Draco to be very approachable and well designed and fairly
> complete. (You will need the CVS version 3.1.2b of mod_python or newer to
> make it work right).
>
> Everyone, of course, disagrees on what combination is be the Right Thing.
> These are my favorites, for now.
> I'm re-educating myself out of Perl, Procedural Programming and other Wrong
> Things (ducking to avoid flames).
> It's a hill to climb but I'm really enjoying it and have Big Plan$ that
> Postgres will be driving.  :-)
>
> Happy Trails,
> Scott

Bir,

There are definitely a lot of ways to do this.  One of the things you want to
decide first is how you are going to serve your pages.  I'd say there are 3
basic types.

1) Static- Obviously you are not going to be doing this since you want data
           coming out of the database but read on...
2) "Somewhat" Dynamic - I would characterize this as static pages with embedded
                        code.  See Apache's server side includes documentation
                        at http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/ssi.html.
3) Dynamic- I would characterize this as complete page generation from a server
            side process.  You can pretty much use any language you want.
            I personally use perl (http://perl.apache.org) but you should check
            out Apache's Java server info (http://jakarta.apache.org) as well
            as Sun's J2 technology (http://java.sun.com).  There is also
            PHP at http://www.php.net.  This info for python was already
            provided to you.  'Course there are still other way to skin this
            cat.

I additionally would strongly recommend going through Apache's site as
previously posted since the back integration options (or at least the depth and
breadth of how far you can go with them) are going to be centered around the web
server.  Thus if you are using some other flavor of web server, you should see
what your integration options are there as part of your research.

Get your favorite elixer and browse away  :)

Good luck!

--
Keith C. Perry
Director of Networks & Applications