Re: checking for a NULL date in a partitioned table kills performance - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From shammat@gmx.net
Subject Re: checking for a NULL date in a partitioned table kills performance
Date
List pgsql-admin
Sbob schrieb am 22.08.2024 um 23:44:

> I am selecting a number of columns and specifying this where clause:
>
> WHERE (
>                     (contract_date IS NULL)
>                     OR
>                     (contract_date > '2022-01-01'::date)
>              )

It's not the check for NULL, it's the OR that makes this perform so badly.

I typically never set columns used for range queries to NULL.

Would using infinity instead of NULL be a viable option here?

Then you can remove the OR condition entirely.