Re: connecting to external database tables outside of the postgres database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Network Administrator
Subject Re: connecting to external database tables outside of the postgres database
Date
List pgsql-general
Quoting Martin_Hurst@dom.com:

> Is it possible to establish a connection from within a postgres database to
> another external database on the network, i.e., not a java or scripting
> connection, BUT by some type of table definition within the postgres
> database of that external database table source - something similar to a
> proxy definition.
> Examples of external database could be MSAccess, Oracle, Sybase,
> MSQLServer, etc.
>
> The idea behind this would to be able to at least look up data from other
> database sources.
>
> At the very most to be able to actually access data in other database table
> sources and perform insert, update, delete, transaction on that external
> database tables rows and columns.
>
> -Martin

Martin,

Check out "dblink" in the contrib path of the source distribution, I think it
does what you are looking for.

You didn't mention what your application was but, you might want to consider
tools like Perl's DBI as well, which (within one script) can connect to several
DB's.  Of course that method is NOT within the database...

.it would be nice if pl/perl could use modules (can it use modules??).  That
might open up some interesting functionalities  :)

--
Keith C. Perry
Director of Networks & Applications

This email account is being host by: