Re: Learning PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Learning PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 17:45, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Neil Conway wrote:
> > Depending on what part of the source you're interested in, a book on
> > DBMS implementation might also be useful, such as

> Wow, $100.

Well, it's a CS textbook -- I have several textbooks this semester that
are > $100.

>   Does it cover internals?

Yeah, although it's more of a broad survey of DB-related topics, so the
internals coverage isn't that in-depth. It talks about storage/indexing
(the heap, ISAM/B+-tree indexes, hash indexes, etc.), query evaluation,
query optimization, transaction management & concurrency control.

That book just happens to be the one on my desk, but there are plenty of
alternatives that cover the same subject matter.

Perhaps you could add this to the developer's FAQ?

-Neil