Re: Bad plan on a view - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bad plan on a view
Date
Re: Bad plan on a view  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-performance
PFC <lists@peufeu.com> writes:
> So, in order to speed up requests which need a full table scan, I wanted
> to put the text fields in another table, and use a view to make it look
> like nothing happened. Also, the small table used for searching is a lot
> more likely to fit in RAM than the big table with all the text which is
> only used for display.

Aren't you going to a lot of work to reinvent something that TOAST
already does for you?  (At least, in the cases where the text fields
are wide enough that it really matters.)

            regards, tom lane