Re: Server recommendations - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Server recommendations
Date
Re: Server recommendations  (Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 10:37, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> Christopher Browne wrote:
>
> > Oops! gearond@fireserve.net (Dennis Gearon) was seen spray-painting on a wall:
[snip]
>  From what I read on postgresql lists, it seems that opteron based machines are
> doing quite a good job as database server with right kind of disk. You could
> look at any such machine for database server..
>
> Check this..
>
> http://www.polywell.com/us/rackservers/poly1u2c.asp
> http://www.opteronics.com/opteron-servers.htm
>
> IMO they could be better machine for databases. Get a 64 bit linux kernel and
> run 32 bit postgresql on it. Should work like a charm..

Why not run 64-bit PG on the 64-bit kernel?  A bunch of distros
are releasing support for the AMD64 this month.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Knowledge should be free for all."
Harcourt Fenton Mudd, Star Trek:TOS, "I, Mudd"