Re: JDBC changes for 7.2... some questions... - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: JDBC changes for 7.2... some questions...
Date
Re: JDBC changes for 7.2... some questions...  (Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com>)
List pgsql-jdbc
Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@knowledgenet.com> writes:
>   1) Being able to use the RETURNING clause in prepared statements, like this
>      "INSERT INTO tableName (key1,...)
>                    VALUES (value1,...)
>                    RETURNING primKeyName INTO ?"
>      Which is what Oracle provides.

INSERT ... RETURNING was discussed recently, and I think people agreed
it's a good idea, but it got hung up on some unresolved issues about how
it should interact with ON INSERT rules for views.  Search the pghackers
mailing list archives for details.  At this point I think it's probably
too late to consider it for 7.2, but I'm still open to doing it in 7.3
if we can come up with a bulletproof spec.

            regards, tom lane