Re: TPC-R benchmarks - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mary Edie Meredith
Subject Re: TPC-R benchmarks
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 07:35, Oleg Lebedev wrote:
> I left my TPC-R query #17 working over the weekend and it took 3988 mins
> ~ 10 hours to complete. And this is considering that I am using a TPC-R
> database created with a scale factor of 1, which corresponds to ~1 GB of
> data. I am running RedHat 8.0 on a dual 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM.

Was this run with or without the l_partkey index that Jenny suggested?

> Here is an excerpt from my postgresql.conf file (the rest of the
> settings are commented out):
>
> #
> #    Shared Memory Size
> #
> shared_buffers = 16384        # 2*max_connections, min 16, typically
> 8KB each
>
> #
> #    Non-shared Memory Sizes
> #
> sort_mem = 32768
>
> #
> #    Optimizer Parameters
> #
> effective_cache_size = 32000    # typically 8KB each
>
> Any suggestions on how to optimize these settings?
>
> I agree with Jenny that declaring additional indexes on the TPC-R tables
> may alter the validity of the benchmarks. Are there any official TPC
> benchmarks submitted by PostgreSQL?

Actually, for the TPC-R you _are allowed to declare additional indexes.
With TPC-H you are restricted to a specific set listed in the spec (an
index on l_partkey is allowed for both).

What you cannot do for either TPC-R or TPC-H is rewrite the SQL of the
query for the purposes of making the query run faster.

Sorry if I was unclear.

Valid TPC-R benchmark results are on the TPC web site:
http://www.tpc.org/tpcr/default.asp

I do not see one for PostgreSQL.

Regards,

Mary