Re: psql output and password Qs - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: psql output and password Qs
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 19:47, ow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1) When psql is run from a script, how would one save *all* output generated by
> psql (including errors, info messages, etc) in to a file?. I tried redirecting
> output with ">" but that did not save error/confirmation messages.

Standard output and standard error are different streams.

The normal way to do what you want (Bourne shell syntax) is:
  psql ... >outfile 2>&1

> 2) When psql is run from a script, how would one pass a password to psql?

Create a .pgpass file to read it from (see the manual for details).

========================================   "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that      there may be meat in
minehouse, and prove me now      herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open      you the windows of heaven,
andpour you out a       blessing, that there shall not be room enough to       receive it."           Malachi 3:10