Re: Hardware recommendations to scale to silly load - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Hardware recommendations to scale to silly load
Date
List pgsql-performance
> My question is: is that current peak rate ("300 inserts/updates
> *or* 2500 selects") based upon 1 connection, or many connections?
> With 4 CPUs, and a 4 disk RAID10, I wouldn't be surprised if 4 con-
> current connections gives the optimum speed.

Optimum number of active workers is probably between 10 and 16.  4 doing
math, 4 doing a dma transfer of data, and 4 to be available the instant
one of the other 8 completes.

On FreeBSD it seems to work that way when there is a mix of activity
with the database.

Attachment