Re: pgplsql - Oracle nvl - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Csaba Nagy
Subject Re: pgplsql - Oracle nvl
Date
List pgsql-general
OK, clear.
But if you have access to your application code, it's maybe better to
create an abstraction layer in front of the DB specific SQLs, and
implement for each DB differently (this is how we do it).
The "nvl" and "decode" statements are Oracle specific, so I can't see
why not use the Postgres specific syntax for Postgres. A lot of Oracle
queries will work a lot better on postgres if rewritten differently, and
some of them can be even expressed more elegantly in Postgres. AFAIKT,
designing your application so it can use a DB abstraction layer will
give you far less trouble in the long run than trying to make the Oracle
queries work unchanged on Postgres...

Cheers,
Csaba.