Re: is linux ready for databases ? (Ziff Davis article - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: is linux ready for databases ? (Ziff Davis article
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 08:47, Mike Mascari wrote:
> Gregory S. Williamson wrote:
>
> > One of our sysads sent this link ... wondering if there
> > is any comment on it from the world of actual users
> > of linux and a database.
> >
> > <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1738&ncid=738&e=9&u=/zd/20030825/tc_zd/55311>
>
> I found the following paragraph humorous:
>
> "A key component that needs further development is the threading model
> used by the system kernel, Binstock said. Multithreading is crucial to
> running an enterprise database. Without it, a database would have to
> handle every data query as it comes in, keeping all other queries
> waiting in queue, since the system would be incapable of parallel
> processing."

Absolutely.  Multi-threaded OSs are a lot younger than enterprise-
level multi-user databases...

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"(Women are) like compilers. They take simple statements and
make them into big productions."
Pitr Dubovitch