Support contracts (was Re: Commercial support?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Support contracts (was Re: Commercial support?)
Date
Why the duplicate messages to pgsql-general?  (expect <expect@ihubbell.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 11:59, Dustin Sallings wrote:
> On Tuesday, Aug 12, 2003, at 09:55 US/Pacific, Al Hulaton wrote:
[snip]
>     We're looking at various databases for production use in our product
> and pricing the various solutions.  My personal preference is postgres,
> but we're also looking at Oracle and Sybase at this point.  One thing
> we get from them that we do not get from postgres is a support
> contract.  It's the general political CYA thing.  If something breaks
> and we can't figure out what it is, we need someone who can come in and
> make it better.
>
>     What we do not need at this point is any type of implementation
> assistance.  We pretty much know what we're doing, but management
> always likes to assume the people whose salaries they pay aren't
> capable of doing their jobs.  :)

I *like* the fact that my company has a support contract with Oracle
on our production databases.
DBMSs are extremely complicated beasts, and even though I am expert,
and can extract the db from most stack dump conditions, there *are*
errors that are beyond my knowledge, but can be quickly solved by
someone who lives and breathes Rdb internals.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
|    Johnny Bravo                                               |