Correct Unicode sorting depends on how initdb was run - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Nils Philippsen
Subject Correct Unicode sorting depends on how initdb was run
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi there,

Recently I stumbled over a very strange problem: I had two very similar
setups (RHL9 with latest updates, pgsql-7.3.2, parameters in "show all"
the same, databases with encoding=3DUNICODE, loaded from the same database
dump) where the sorting on one was erroneous with regards to accented
characters.

After hours of fiddling I found out that the erroneous one was initdb'ed
with locale set to en_US, while the one correctly sorting was initdb'ed
with locale set to en_US.UTF-8. I pg_dumpall'ed the wrong one, redid the
initdb with locale set to en_US.UTF-8 and loaded the dumped databases,
now the sorting order was correct.

Is this expected behaviour (I do not think so)?

Nils
--=20
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp@redhat.com