Re: length of recordset read through a cursor - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: length of recordset read through a cursor
Date
List pgsql-sql
Yes, a move takes less time, but can still a significant amount of time.

Do you need to know exactly what to expect?  Run ANALYZE recently?

A cheat I've used before is to parse the EXPLAIN (not EXPLAIN ANALYZE)
output for the expected number of records involved.  If that number was
less than 2000, I MOVE through them for an exact count -- otherwise
display as approx <explain number>.

In most cases it's within 50% of actuality, sometimes better, but very
few people care. They just want to know whether the information from
their search is within the next screen or two.