Re: WebGUI vote on whether to drop PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: WebGUI vote on whether to drop PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 03:01, Kaarel wrote:
>  From WebGui web site
>
> We have chosen MySQL because it is used by the majority of the WebGUI
> users already, because it is easier to administer than Postgres, and
> because it works equally well on all platforms, unlike Postgres.
>
> I thought that the last one was PostgreSQL-s benefit?

They define all platforms as "linux" and "windows".

The most ironic thing I saw in their postings was that they didn't need
all of the features that postgresql offers to run webgui ("it's mostly
simple selects") but they also want to start putting more logic into the
database (which should make postgresql the clear winner imo). You'll
notice that dropping mysql for postgresql was never a consideration,
even though it would offer them a technically superior product, and
possibly increase their services offered to include postgresql setup.

I'd like for them to keep supporting postgresql, but I think the point
is that the core WebGUI developers are anti-postgresql, and knowing that
fact, I don't know why you would want to stick with their product. They
are not going to offer the best technical solution, and their not going
to offer the best support for your platform, it's time to fork or move
on.

Robert Treat