Re: Prepared Statements - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Nicholas Rahn
Subject Re: Prepared Statements
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
We have found that using PostgreSQL (>7.3) prepared statements is, in
general, more efficient.  We have a lot of queries that are executed
multiple times (sometimes every 30 seconds) and we generally see better
efficiency.  You must, of course, set the useServerPrepare to true
otherwise the query will not be "prepared" by the backend (by default it
is false):

PreparedStatement actionSt = conn.prepareStatement( myquery );
( (PGStatement) actionSt ).setUseServerPrepare( true );

However, we have also seen the reverse effect, depending on the query.
Some queries are not prepared well by the backend and actually execute
*slower* than without setting the useServerPrepare variable.  This is
rare, but when it happens it is can multiply the execution time by 10 or
more.

So from my experience, the efficiency of prepared statements is based on
how well the backend is able to prepare the query.

Nick