Re: Quick Extensions Question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Quick Extensions Question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
> On Mar 4, 2011, at 8:19 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hmm.  Personally I do use createdb/dropdb but never createlang/droplang;
>> but I'm well aware that my usage may not be typical.  I'm a bit hesitant
>> to just go and drop these without any warning.  I could see deprecating
>> them for a release or two and then dropping them ... but that doesn't
>> solve the problem of what to do with them in 9.1.

> +1 for deprecating them in 9.2. I've found createlang annoying in that it supports only core PLs.

Well, the interesting point here is that if these scripts start issuing
CREATE/DROP EXTENSION, they'd work just fine on non-core PLs, assuming
the PL authors get with the program and provide extension packaging.
The only difference between core and non-core PLs will be that the
latter require superuser permission to install, where the former require
only database owner (at least in the trusted variant).