Access97 to pgSQL, error Bad boolean external representation - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Alan Graham
Subject Access97 to pgSQL, error Bad boolean external representation
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Apologies if this is a well known problem, I have googled extensively
for the error message and can find what I doing wrong.

I am in the process of converting an Access 97 app to use PostgreSQL as
the backend.  For the moment I´m keeping Access as the frontend.

PostgreSQL is version 7.2.1 running on Debian Woody

ODBC Driver is version 7.03.01, on windows 98.  Downloaded and installed
last week.

I finished the conversion successfully, I think, but I´m having problems
with boolean data types when the app is running.  I´ve set up a test
table, containing only a key, a boolean field and a currency field.
Saving a record from Access with a false value in the boolean works ok,
but saving a true value fails with an ODBC error.  The error message
from the ODBC log is:

SC_get_error: status = 7, msg = #ERROR:  Bad boolean external
representation '-1'#

I´ve tried to change the settings in the ODBC config.  The two settings
I´ve been changing are
Bool as Char, and
True is -1  (on page 2 of the config screen)

I´ve tried all 4 combinations of these settings, both with the
PostgreSQL driver and with the PostgreSQL Legacy driver.  Nothing I´ve
changed has had an effect, ie, I get the same message in all 8 cases.  I
exit out off Access completely between tests.

As I´m getting the same error no matter the setting, I´m tempted to
believe that I´m changing the wrong DSN, or that there´s some trick to
saving the settings so that they´re actioned?  I´ve checked the DSN in
the log each time, so...  What stupid newbie error am I making?

Thanks for your help

Alan Graham

--
Alan Graham <alan.graham@infonetsystems.com.au>