Re: dynamic shared memory and locks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: dynamic shared memory and locks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> OTOH, the LWLock mechanism has been stable for long enough now that
>> we can probably suppose this struct is no more subject to churn than
>> any other widely-known one, so maybe that consideration is no longer
>> significant.

> On the whole, I'd say it's been more stable than most.  But even if we
> do decide to change it, I'm not sure that really matters very much.

Actually, the real value of a module-local struct definition is that you
can be pretty darn sure that nothing except the code in that file is
manipulating the struct contents.  I would've preferred that we expose
only an abstract struct definition, but don't quite see how to do that
if we're going to embed the things in buffer headers.