Re: advisory locks and permissions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: advisory locks and permissions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I don't see the column rename as an
> API change issue.

How can you possibly claim it's not an API change?

If you're insistent on this, my recommendation would be to add a new
LOCKTAG value for advisory locks instead of re-using LOCKTAG_USERLOCK.
This would take a little bit more code space but it would preserve the
same pg_locks display for people using the old contrib code, while we
could use "advisory" for locks created by the new code.  (Which I still
maintain is a pretty bad way of describing the locks themselves, but
obviously I'm failing to get through to you on that.)