Re: Backing up 16TB of data (was Re: > 16TB worth of - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Backing up 16TB of data (was Re: > 16TB worth of
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 2003-04-26 at 19:18, Jan Wieck wrote:
> Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> >
> > At 07:32 PM 4/25/2003 -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> > >Of course, assuming we want to backup the total 24 Terabyte he has in
> > >2-3 years in less than a day, if we have a month to take a backup we can
> > >save some money on the backup solution.
> >
> > If you take the month approach, the filesystem/db snapshot has to stay in
> > place for a full month whilst the backup is occuring. Do-able, but can be
> > stressful e.g. if something goes wrong after trying for a full month...
> >
> > But anyway he said off-line backups aren't that important - I gather that
> > recreating the data is not totally impractical. Still 16TB, ouch.
>
> I think a scenario like that, where one has a relatively small
> percentage of really updated data and a huge portion of constantly
> growing, is a good example for when it might be appropriate NOT to store
> everything in one database.
>
> Depending on the rest of the requirements, it might need 2PC and using 2
> databases. The updated database then could be backed up by normal means
> while for the constantly growing one you just archive the redo logs.

Here's another thought: does all 16TB of data *really* have to be
in the database all the time??

Maybe there's a business rule that anything older than 6 months isn't
in the database itself, but is "just" sitting out on somewhere on a
filesystem, and if the old data is requested, then, either
programmatically or thru operator intervention, the old data is copied
into the database.

Yes, it would take longer to access "old" data, but, hey, that's
reality (unless you want to spend *really*large* amounts of money).
And it's not an "OSS vs.Proprietary" either.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |