Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Grant
Subject Re: Upgrade to Red Hat Linux 9 broke PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 20:47, Network Administrator wrote:
> When you say "forces upgrades" what do you mean?
>
> I might do things differently- I download the tarball, compile, dump and restore
> my system.  I've never have Postgres **not** compile on my Slackware boxes but
> I've had **tons** of issues with RPM disto's (I've consulted on RedHat &
> Mandrake personally) with even smaller packages things so I don't use it much.
>
> Seems to me you should **always** be able to compile software.

I have never been able to compile (with regularity) PostgreSQL on Redhat
boxes since 1997. Thank god for rpm...

1. Redhat 8 is great - if you need the new POSIX threads compile a
2.4.20 kernel

2. I tried installing debian a few times, Slackware once. I was
beginning with Linux. Redhat went on the machine without a sweat. *ask
me what that machine was if you dare

3. PostgreSQL runs great on lots of systems - my dev server is Mac OS X
10.2.5 and the client is redhat 8. There are tons of Linuxen there are
people who compile and people who double click. Big deal...

Cheers

Tony Grant
--
www.tgds.net Library management software toolkit,