Re: Interaction of PITR backups and Bulk operations avoiding WAL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Interaction of PITR backups and Bulk operations avoiding WAL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Say you issue COPY, CREATE INDEX etc..
> pg_start_backup()
> pg_stop_backup()
> ...then bulk operation ends.
> This will result in a base backup that does not contain the data written
> during the bulk operation and the changes aren't in WAL either.

Uh, no.  The state of XLogArchivingActive() isn't affected by that.

It strikes me that allowing archive_command to be changed on the fly
might not be such a good idea though, or at least it shouldn't be
possible to flip it from empty to nonempty during live operation.