Re: PQescapeBytea is not multibyte aware - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PQescapeBytea is not multibyte aware
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
>> This scenario is probably why Tatsuo wants PQescapeBytea to octalize
>> everything with the high bit set; I'm not sure there's any lesser way

> Yuck! At that point you're no better off than converting to hex (and
> worse off than converting to base64) for storage.

No; the *storage* is still compact, it's just the I/O representation
that's not.

> SQL99 actually defines BLOB as a binary string literal comprised of an
> even number of hexadecimal digits, in single quotes, preceded by "X",
> e.g. X'1a43fe'. Should we be looking at implementing the standard
> instead of, or in addition to, octalizing?

Perhaps we should cause the system to regard hex-strings as literals of
type bytea.  Right now I think they're taken to be integer constants,
which is clearly not per spec.