Re: chron scripts and pgsql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Harris
Subject Re: chron scripts and pgsql
Date
Re: chron scripts and pgsql  (Dennis Gearon <gearond@cvc.net>)
List pgsql-general
My instance of postgres runs on a separate box than the one that does the work.
So connections are always via TCP/IP.  Therefore, the simple "psql -c
<command>" doesn't work because my databases require a username/password.  My
solution for the cron scripts (the only one I could figure out that works).  My
database name and password are stored in a file readable only by the script
execution id.  Those filenames and passwords are parsed and set to the PGUSER
and PGPASSWORD variables (which exist only for the life of the script).  I can
then run my "pgsql -h <hostname> -c <command>" for any and all databases.

If anyone has a better solution for the username/password, I would love to see
it, but this works.

Hope this helps,

--
Ken Harris