Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andreas Kostyrka
Subject Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 19:53, eric soroos wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:39:17 -0800 (PST) in message <20030401173917.19476.qmail@web21101.mail.yahoo.com>, Shankar K
<shan0075@yahoo.com>wrote:
> > hi jeff,
> >
> > go to
> > http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/momjian/hw_performance/
> > under 'filesystems' slide.
> >

> I suspect that is what he's seen.
>
> >From my experience, ext3 is only a percent or two slower than ext2 under pg_bench. It saves an amazing amount of
timeon startup after a failure by not having to fsck to confirm that the filesystem is in a consistent state.

> I believe that ext3 is a metadata journaling system, and not a data journaling system. This would indicate that the
PGtransactioning is complimentary to the filesystem journaling, not duplication.
It's both. See the -o data=journal|data=ordered|data=writeback mount
time option.

Andreas

Attachment