Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: ext3 filesystem / linux 7.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wednesday 02 April 2003 07:19, you wrote:
> > Just switch to FreeBSD and use UFS ;)
>
> I must say, I found this whole discussion rather amusing on the
> sidelines given it's largely a non-problem for non-Linux users.  :)
>
> "Better performance through engineering elegance."

Well, this may sound like a troll, but I have said this before and will say
that again. I found reiserfs to be faster than ext2, upto 40% at times when
we tried a quasi closed source benchmark on a quad xeon machine with SCSI
RAID.

Everything else being same and defaults used out of box, reiserfs on mandrake9
was far faster in every respect than ext2.

I personally find freeBSD UFS to be a better combo based on my workstation
tests. I believe freeBSD has a better IO scheuler that utilises disk
bandwidth in optimal manner. Scratching (my poor IDE) disk like mad does not
happen with freeBSD but linux does it plenty. But I didn't benchmark it for
throughput..

 Shridhar