Re: Database files - personal curiosity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Daniel R. Anderson
Subject Re: Database files - personal curiosity
Date
List pgsql-general
<snip>
> In MySQL the database files are housed in directories named for the
> database they belong to and you can see how much disk space they are
> taking up fairly easily. Where does PostgreSQL keep is datafiles and
> more importantly how can I tell how much diskspace it is consuming?
</snip>

In order to start the postmaster you had to
$ initdb -D /yourdatadir
and then
$ postmaster -D /yourdatadir

If you followed the install files´ instructions and compiled it yourself
/yourdatadir should be /usr/local/pgsql/data.  If you are using a
postgresql database which came with your distro it may be in something
like /var/pgsql/data (That´s how Mandrake is set up...it´s also got a
/var/pgsql/data and makes routine pg_dumpalls).

Daniel R. Anderson
Chief Lab Rat and Helper Monkey
Great Lakes Industries, Inc.

"Never let your schooling interfere with your education¨
    -- Mark Twain