Re: please help: PostgreSQL JDBC Pooling problem - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes
Subject Re: please help: PostgreSQL JDBC Pooling problem
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Barry,

Try to change the openConnection method as follows:

public Statement openConnection() {
         Statement loStatement;
         System.out.println("opening  con");
         try {
             // gets a connection from Pool
             this.loConnection = loPoolSource.getConnection();
             System.out.println("loConnection = " + this.loConnection);
             loStatement = this.loConnection.createStatement();
             System.out.println("Statement = " + loStatement);
             return loStatement;
             // return this.loConnection.createStatement();

         } catch (Exception loException) {
             loException.printStackTrace();
         }

         return null;
     }

With my system (Solaris x86, latest jdk 1.4 from Sun and postgresql 7.3.2) this
results in a NullPointer Exception when printing loStatement on the screen.

This seems to reproduce the error happening in my main application. The classes
simply can't connect to the database because all Statements that openConnection()
returns are null.

BTW, is this the correct manner to implement a Pooled DB in PostgreSQL and
a singleton class wrapped as a static attribute (loPoolSource) ??

Thanks again.

Marcus Andree

   http://www.vlinfo.com.br